The lineup for the out of this World Cup 2026. pic.twitter.com/D5I8mR8w3y
— Anil Menon (@astro_anil) July 19, 2026
My silly brain immediately thought of Buck Rogers, specifically Episode 119 (Olympiad), which originally aired on February 7, 1980. A couple years back I tried rewatching the series on a lark and...it doesn't really hold up. I didn't even make it to this one, in fact.
But hey, they can't all be Battlestar Galactica (Lt Sheba was my fave, sorry, Col Deering). Or The Right Stuff.
Anyway, the only World Cup final that I've ever actually watched was at a hostel in Hirtshals, Denmark, during a biking tour in '86 (at the start of my first trip to the USSR). Met a guy with dual German and Aussie citizenship, who hated American culture (derided "Ma-drone-a") and Danish culture ("their beer is too warm"), and a Spanish dude who passed around gin in a flask (tried it, ick) and kept chanting, "Maraaadooooona, Maraaadoooona!" I was sad West Germany lost.
In conclusion: soccer is a sport of contrasts.
PS - Just remembered that I also rewatched a bit of Knight Rider in recent years, including the episode that Anne Lockhart was in. Oh yeah, I had a real crush on her. I think I still do.
No comments:
Post a Comment